Tuesday, September 25, 2007

In Search of Local Singapore Food

I was craving for local Singapore food. It was not just Chinese food, but a blend of Chinese, Malay, and Indian food. My sister was visiting us at the time, and it seemed like a good time to go hunt for some local Singapore food. The nearest place we decided was a good possibility was downtown Houston, some where close to Bellaire.

Sure enough, we found some restaurants serving Asian cuisine. We went to one that called itself the Malaysian restaurant. We thought, surely they would have some local food. They did, but the price for one dish was more than triple what we could get in Singapore. Oh well! We went ahead and tried the food anyway. I would say, we could get tastier food in Singapore, but we were not in Singapore. However, we did get to meet a waitress who spoke my dialect - Hakka. She came from Singapore's neighboring country, Malaysia. My sister and I had a great time chatting with her in Hakka!

1 comment:

hifidel said...

If you need company to go there again, maybe we can go together in a couple of weeks!